Questions for the Monthly Comics Spotlights

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Questions for the Monthly Comics Spotlights

Post by JohnMayo »

Use this thread to submit questions and comments for the Monthly Comics Spotlight series.

I'll be checking this thread a few days before recording the Monthly Comics Spotlight episode.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
JasonZ
Fan

Re: Questions for the Monthly Comics Spotlights

Post by JasonZ »

Hi guys,

One Star Squadron - How was this series and did you enjoy it at all? I almost went for this initially as I thought it would be like All Star Squadron but it does not seem to be.

Fictionauts # 3 - I completely missed this series but it looks interesting. How was it and is there any characters or main stream comics you would compare it to?

Blue and Gold - I fell off the Justice League series back in the years when they joined the team but I certainly have more appreciation for them as time has passed. How was the series to you guys and was it a more modern day feel or a throw back/classic feel to the characters?

Knighted - Could you give a general overview of the series? Is this a street level character and what kind of world is the setting? Looks interesting.

Hulk Grand Design Madness - I was waiting to collect this in trade as the Hulk is one of my favorite characters but wanted to ask why is this series not enjoyable to you guys? I have not personally read any of the Grand Design series and am not sure if they are a retelling of the characters history or a new "secret story" from the classic years of the characters. I thought they might be like History of the Marvel Universe by Mark Waid series. Are there other Grand Design story arcs you have read that you would recommend and how do they compare in format or story wise to the Hulk series?

Blue Baron - How are you enjoying Blue Baron and other Binge Books from Sit Comics as a whole? Does this feel like 70's-80's Marvel comics to you guys?

Thanks so much
JasonZ
Fan

Post by JasonZ »

May Monthly Comics Spotlight

Death Dealer # 1 Did you enjoy the first issue James/what did was your overall impression?

Savage Avengers # 1 How would you compare the series to the previous in both the storyline and the characters involved? Do you think it will be cut short or Conan will be written out of the series soon due to the Conan licensing issue?

Dark Crisis FCBD What did you guys think about the issue and do you believe they will pull this off well?

Project Superpowers # 2 What do you think about the series and how does it compare to the previous Project Superpowers?
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

1. What were your favorite Free Comic Book titles?
2. Did you receive any manga this month? If yes, could you please share their titles and summarize the plot.
3. Did you read any of the lead-in titles to this summers’ Big 2 crossovers: Avengers/X-Men/Eternals (AXE) and Dark Crisis (like JasonZ, want to hear your thoughts)? Did they change your opinions about either crossover.
4. Speaking of crossovers how was this month's batch of issues tying into Batman: Shadow War. John, I believe you previously mentioned only picking up a few of the titles involved.
JasonZ
Fan

Post by JasonZ »

Startup # 2 How are you enjoying this character’s story and Binge Books overall?

Justice League vs. Legion of Super-Heroes (1-6) what was your overall take on this series? Do you see this version of the Legion being able to support an ongoing series?

New Fantastic Four (1-5) what are your thoughts on this series? Do you feel like it relates at all to the 90’s versions when they took over the Fantastic Four title for a few issues (FF # 347-349)? No worries if you want to wait to discuss this book after the entire series is released.

Tim Drake Robin # 1 what was your anticipation going into the series and do you think this is a good take so far on the Tim Drake character?

Savage Avengers # 5 (feel free to hold thoughts until September monthly comics spotlight) James I would love to hear your thoughts on the series overall and specifically the way in which they surprisingly sent off Conan after previously saying he would continue in Marvel team up books. This seems to coincide with all collected additions featuring Conan also stopping by December 2022.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

1. Can you check-in on titles purchased tying into current DC & Marvel events? You have be doing to for AXE and Dakr Crisis, but can it be a regular feature.

2. Are there are plans to read more titles on DC Infinite (because of Ultra) or Marvel Unlimited? If so, could you please share which titles are downgraded from the monthly Kowanunga order.
JasonZ
Fan

Post by JasonZ »

November Monthly Comics Spotlight

1. How is the new Fantastic Four series (FF #1)? Does it look like it will be a good run on the characters?
2. Can you talk about New Golden Age #1, JSA #1, and Stargirl Lost Children #1? Do these series by Geoff Johns look promising in returning the JSA to the DC Universe? Which story did you enjoy the most?
3. Tim Drake Robin #3 Overall, what is causing you to drop the title? Is it the art, storyline, or combination of several things that is not working?
4. What is the general premise of Planet Hulk: World Breaker #1? Does this relate in any way to the original Planet Hulk by Greg Pak?
comicfreak
Visitor

Post by comicfreak »

Well I have come up with some questions than maybe already heve been answered, but I am wondering:
  • With the amount of comics you order, how can you enjoy a single comic, because you have so much more to read?
    I myself order a couple of comics a month and I can't keep up with reading them all.
  • How do you keep track of all the stories? Do you reread the previous parts again if a new part is published?
    Most stories consists of serveral parts over multiple months so how you keep the story straight?
  • Where do you keep the comics?
    Because comics take up a lot of room (at least the amount you have)
  • How do you decide if you want a order a comic?
    Is it because of the art? The story? Or the solicitation or because it's part of a universe? Or something else?
  • Do you ever reread a comic or series for a second time?
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

1. If you purchased Dark Web (Spider-Man/X-Men crossover), what were your thoughts? Did you have a favorite mini-series/spin-off.
2. Will you be purchasing Sins of Sinister (the latest Kieron Gillen) X-Men crossover? If so, what did you think of the Sins of Sinister one-shot.
3. Initial thoughts about the new Avengers creative team? I assume you are both still counting down the issues until the Jason Aaron run ends.
4. Have you thought off a segment name for your manga coverage? Perhaps "This Month in Manga" could be a contender :D
SuperFlashAtom1980
Visitor

Post by SuperFlashAtom1980 »

I'm trying to be more active in the community, so I thought I'd give this a whirl. So a couple of questions for you, John. Sorry, James. Maybe some for you in the future.

1. I know it's been awhile since "Godzilla vs MMPR" came out, but I was wondering if you remember how you liked it. I got 2-3 issues and it didn't hold my interest.

2. Have you tried reading the manga I recommended "Love After World Domination" yet? I've watched six episodes of the anime already and it's pretty good. It's basically a rom-com with a coating of Super Sentai paint.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

1. How did you feel about Superman #1. Do you believe that utilizing Superman to “kick-off” the Dawn of DC initiative was the right move?

2. What happens to your Previews (physical catalogs) after items from that issue ship. If you keep the catalog what are your long term plans for the issues. Note: this is an issue I am currently grappling with.

3. Any initial thoughts about the additional DC and Marvel crossovers/events for summer 2023 announced at ComicsPRO. Links to crossover/event descriptions posted in case you need reference.

Knight Terrors (DC) - https://www.comicsbeat.com/knight-terro ... ter-march/

Contest of Chaos (Marvel) - https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/ ... a-harkness

Ultimate Invasion (Marvel) - https://ew.com/books/jonathan-hickman-b ... vel-comic/

Link to previously announced 2023 crossovers/(small ‘e’ events) - https://www.cbr.com/every-major-comic-b ... -for-2023/
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

Monthly Spotlight Questions for March 2023

1. Share a DC/Marvel/Indie book (each category) for the month of March that you recommend everyone pick up and the rationale.

2. How do you feel about the Nightwing price increase to $4.99 and the backup story?

3. You are in the home stretch of Jason Aaron’s Avengers run, one issue to go (Avengers Assemble Omega in April). How did you feel about the March issues? Any improvements?
SuperFlashAtom1980
Visitor

Post by SuperFlashAtom1980 »

Michael here. I'll keep reminding you guys until you remember me. :wink:

1. Avataro Sentai Donbrothers is done, John. I think it was pretty good. It was definitely different than any of the previous Super Sentai that I've watched. Still, it was enjoyable. What did you think?

2. John, you've said you've watched Ultraman and Kamen Rider before but didn't enjoy them. Do you remember the names of the series you tried?

3. John, how excited are you to watch "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Once & Always" on Netflix?

4. This is for you, James. You said you watched Ultraman when you were a kid. What did you enjoy about it back then? Have you ever watched Power Rangers? If so, what about it didn't you like?
JasonZ
Fan

Post by JasonZ »

1. What did you guys think of Warlock Rebirth #1? How does the series compare to the early 90s rendition of the character? Would you recommend it for someone who enjoyed Warlock during the Infinity Gauntlet/Infinity War/Infinity Crusade era?

2. How is The Mighty Barbarians #1 James?

3. What do you think of the end of the current Hulk run James?

4. How was Frank Frazetta Tales of Science Fantasy #1 James?

5. Is there a current series (mini or ongoing) that you are truly looking forward to reading every month?
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

- What does your typical comic reading schedule like?
- Can you discuss some of your favorite comic genres outside of standard superhero fare?
- If you had unlimited time & resources to invest in the CBP, what tweaks (if any) would you make to do to the podcast (explore other topics, try new approaches, interviews)?
- As a long time listener, I've noticed a creeping trend of less enthusiasm with several of the books you've been reviewing. If true, would you chalk that up to a trend of lower quality in those comic lines, a general lowering of interest in the hobby, or both, or something else.
- What changes could modern comics make that would excite you, or could improve the reading experience for you?