Welcome to the forum / Introduce Yourself

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Re: Welcome to the forum / Introduce Yourself

Post by MrAloha »

paulb wrote:Hi I'm new to forum so I best introduce myself.
My name is Paul.
Dear Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

If you get chance, please join us on the Previews Spotlight Episodes. It would be cool to get a clip from across the pond.

Aloha
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

nacho wrote:Hello, I'm Rob. I'm 42, an engineer, with two kids (Kate and Alex - named for Kitty Pryde and Alex Summers), and a wife that also enjoys comics (yep, I'm one of those lucky ones). Comics are now a family hobby.
Dear Rob,

Welcome to the forum.

If you, and your wife, get a chance, please join us on the Previews Spotlight Episodes. It would be awesome if you and your wife submitted a clip to a future episode.

Aloha
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

glzach wrote:My name is Zach Dorman.

But after hearing John and Drew give recurring encouragement to submit for Previews Spotlight, I am determined to get something in soon.
Dear Zach,

Welcome to the forum.

I give you credit for being a social worker. Keep up the good work.

If you get a chance, join us on the Previews Spotlight Episodes. Just start with one clip and have fun with it.

And, when you get a chance, give a shoutout to your comic shop.

Aloha
Rabbitrabbit
Visitor

Post by Rabbitrabbit »

Hi
My name is Jon and I reside in Saskatchewan, Canada. I have read comics pretty consistently all my life, starting with stuff like House of Secrets, Weird War and Savage Sword of Conan as a kid. I started dipping into the superhero genre in my teens with Avengers and Spider-Man, and then Vertigo titles, Strangers in Paradise, Eightball and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac in my 20s. Nowadays I probably read about 30 titles a month split pretty equally between Marvel/DC/smaller publishers. Anyway, I really enjoy listening to the podcast and thought I might as well join the forums.
Thanks!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Rabbitrabbit wrote:Hi
My name is Jon and I reside in Saskatchewan, Canada. I have read comics pretty consistently all my life, starting with stuff like House of Secrets, Weird War and Savage Sword of Conan as a kid. I started dipping into the superhero genre in my teens with Avengers and Spider-Man, and then Vertigo titles, Strangers in Paradise, Eightball and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac in my 20s. Nowadays I probably read about 30 titles a month split pretty equally between Marvel/DC/smaller publishers. Anyway, I really enjoy listening to the podcast and thought I might as well join the forums.
Thanks!
welcome aboard Jon - glad to have you
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
comicscornerpod
Passerby

Post by comicscornerpod »

Hey everyone!

My name is Ryan from Columbus,OH. I've been listening to the podcast since early 2016. I grew up around comics all my life. Didn't start reading comics religiously again until 2014. I've since then started a podcast with a local comic fan. At the moment I spend most my time reading comics, writing reviews, working, and spending time with my wife. I plan to finally record a preview spotlight and share some stuff I love. Keep up the good work guys!

Where can I find the Slack Chat channel?

Cheers,
Ryan/Columbus Comics Corner
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

comicscornerpod wrote:Hey everyone!

My name is Ryan from Columbus,OH. I've been listening to the podcast since early 2016. I grew up around comics all my life. Didn't start reading comics religiously again until 2014. I've since then started a podcast with a local comic fan. At the moment I spend most my time reading comics, writing reviews, working, and spending time with my wife. I plan to finally record a preview spotlight and share some stuff I love. Keep up the good work guys!

Cheers,
Dear Ryan,

Welcome to the forum.

Is Columbus Comics Corner the name of your podcast or your review platform?

Have fun recording your clip(s) for the Previews Episode. And if you get a chance, give a shoutout to your comic shop.

Aloha!
Jason
comicscornerpod
Passerby

Post by comicscornerpod »

MrAloha wrote:

Cheers,
Dear Ryan,

Welcome to the forum.

Is Columbus Comics Corner the name of your podcast or your review platform?

Have fun recording your clip(s) for the Previews Episode. And if you get a chance, give a shoutout to your comic shop.

Aloha!
Jason
Hey Jason,

Columbus Comics Corner is the name of my podcast. I write reviews for the WeirdScienceDC site. Mainly reviews for the non-premiere publishers.

Thanks
Ryan
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Cheers,
we are practically neighbors (i work in nearby Lancaster) welcome to the forum
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

Hey Jason,

Columbus Comics Corner is the name of my podcast. I write reviews for the WeirdScienceDC site. Mainly reviews for the non-premiere publishers.

Thanks
Ryan
Dear Ryan,

Thank you for responding. When I get a chance, I'll check out your podcast.

Aloha!
mwbworld
Passerby

Hey there, hi there, ho there!

Post by mwbworld »

I’m Michael and I’m a comic-a-holic! After probably more than a year of listening to the podcast I finally decided to join the discussion board (as recently the slack channel as well.) I’ll just go ahead and tackle the suggested questions as they are relevant or whimsy strikes me.

Tell us about yourself: who are you? what do you read? and why are you here?

I read all sort of things but the general life-rule for me is the busier I am the lighter my reading gets. When work and life is hectic as heck – then reading becomes comics, manga, fantasy and SF only. When it’s less so then I tend to rotate in more serious literature and non-fiction. The bulk of my reading gets done in the daily subway commute to and from work (since I spend about two hours a work day riding the transit rails…)

I think I finally decided to join because it will be good to gab a bit about these things. I follow other online groups but most of the them like reddit groups, and social media places tend to be too onerously big and shouting matches which just grates on me too much.

How old are you?

Old enough to be coy about that answer! Somewhere well beyond drinking age, voting age, old enough to run for Senate/President age - and closer to the point that AARP keeps sending me letters enough though I’m still quite always from retirement age. :wink:

What do you do for a living?

The dreaded day job is in administration at a major metropolitan university.

What kinds of comic books do you like?

Hmm. I have to say that the bulk of my reading is manga for a good number of years now. Though after a long break comixology on my tablet led me back to following some Marvel, DC and the rest.

About how many comic book issues a week/month do you buy?

Comic books proper – probably around a four a week; manga about the same.

Do you buy mainly issues, trades, digital?

Mainly digital for everything – just got tired of fighting the never-ending storage battles – renting in Boston is way too expensive to have the piles of long-boxes and that many bookcases (I still have have five big bookcases...not counting the DVD/Blu-Ray one.) I do buy some special comics in book form like the complete Planetary hardcover, as the well as the Courtney Crumin color hardcovers and stray things beyond that. And there are a number of manga titles that I following in DT (dead tree) form as well.)

How many do you read every week/month?

Probably like a hundred in the course of the month (counting manga, comics, tpb all together) between buying digital, physical, Hoopla and other library stuff.

How long have you been reading comics?

Several decades with some breaks along the way. Since I was a tween – back when comics were still carved in clay tablets...

Do you submit clips to the Previews Spotlight episodes? (If not, why not?)

Hmm – not yet. Thinking about it. I’d have to look at previews which I haven’t in years. There is an independent comic store within walking distance that I really feel that sending some love to.

How’s that for a start?
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Welcome to the forums, mwbworld!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

welcome aboard
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Re: Hey there, hi there, ho there!

Post by MrAloha »

mwbworld wrote:I’m Michael and I’m a comic-a-holic!
Dear Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

If you get a chance, submit a clip to the Previews Spotlight episode.

Aloha!
SaintExmin
Passerby

Post by SaintExmin »

Hello there. I've been a comics fan since 1974 when I asked for a copy of 'Cracker' (old UK 'funny' comic) and was misheard and given a copy of Dracula Lives instead. I also got into marvel via the old Hanna-Barbera cartoons, which i loved. I stopped collecting in the 90s, well, lots of people did. I started again a few years back, but my heart is really in those Marvels from 1963 to about 85.

I wanted to be a Marvel artist, and though it never happened, i am a professional artist now, and if I may, here's a link to my website and a couple of pieces from it:

http://www.danavenell.com

Superheroes Lunch Atop A Skyscraper!

Stan Lee's Super Supper!

Spider-Man Drops By!

Hope you like 'em!