Welcome to the forum / Introduce Yourself

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

Jasandyc
Visitor

Re: Welcome to the forum / Introduce Yourself

Post by Jasandyc »

MrAloha wrote:
Jasandyc wrote:Hi, guys. I've been listening to the podcasts for a while now, and I figured I'd get a little more involved. I'll just answer the questions:

What is your real name? Jason
How old are you? 45
What do you do for a living? Custodian at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
What kinds of comic books do you like? Geez, what kind of comics do I not like? I used to be a complete Marvel Zombie, but I've begun gravitating more towards horror and sci-fi titles from Image, IDW, as well as the New Age of Heroes from DC. The X-Titles are still number one for me, though.
About how many comic book issues a week/month do you buy? I'm buying around 60-70 new comics a month, plus back issues
Do you buy mainly issues, trades, digital? I buy almost all single issues, plus 1-2 trades per month
How many do you read every week/month? I (try to) read all my new comics per month, plus as many back issues as I can make it through
How long have you been reading comics? I started reading comics on March 13, 1986. On my thirteenth, my aunt gave me a three pack of Marvels containing Transformers #1-3
How long have you been listening to the Comic Book Page podcast? About two years, I think
Do you submit clips to the Previews Spotlight episodes? (If not, why not?) I have not. I plan to in the future, though

I also want to thank John Mayo for devoting all the time he does to doing all this for his fellow collectors. I can't imagine the amount of time he invests, but it is greatly appreciated.

Jason C.
Dear Jason,
Welcome to the forum.
If you get a chance, give a shoutout to your LCS in Rochester, Minnesota.
And let us know what back issues are you picking up.
Also, when your ready, submit a clip to the Previews Spotlight episode. And had fun recording your recommendations.

Jason
My LCS here is called Book Review. They deal in new and back issue comics and comic-related collectibles, sports cards (mostly Minnesota teams), and used paperbacks. I don't buy many new comics there, because of the discounts I get from DCBS, but if I miss one I'll run down there to get it. My wife likes to get her Walking Dead trades there as well. Most of their back issues are from the past decade or so, and I have more comics than they do, so I don't really look there any more for my back issues. In the late '80's, that's where I bought most of my Silver and Bronze X-Men issues. #16 for $5, #94 for $30. Those were the days...
BronzeAgePaul
Passerby

Post by BronzeAgePaul »

Hi everybody. I have been listening to the podcasts for a year or two and thought I would look into the forums and maybe record a clip for the Previews episode. I guess I will start with the questions you asked!

What is your real name? Paul
How old are you? 53
What do you do for a living? I am a client relationship manager at a large consulting firm.
What kinds of comic books do you like? Mainly super-hero but I try lots of other things. More of a DC fan.
About how many comic book issues a week/month do you buy? 50-75 issues a month plus a bunch of trades and HCs of older classic stuff
Do you buy mainly issues, trades, digital? Current issues, deluxe HCs and omnis, some trades and digital when there are sales on comiXology. I also buy back issues at shows and occasionally online.
How many do you read every week/month? All the single issues I buy plus I am generally working my way through a couple other items, for example right now I am halfway through Master of Kung Fu Omni #4 and an Action Comics Archive. So maybe 250 issues a month?
How long have you been reading comics? Since the 1970s
How long have you been listening to the Comic Book Page podcast? 1-2 years
Do you submit clips to the Previews Spotlight episodes? (If not, why not?) I am going to give it a shot!
BronzeAgePaul
Passerby

Post by BronzeAgePaul »

Hi everybody. I have been listening to the podcasts for a year or two and thought I would look into the forums and maybe record a clip for the Previews episode. I guess I will start with the questions you asked!

How old are you? 53
What do you do for a living? I am a client relationship manager at a large consulting firm.
What kinds of comic books do you like? Mainly super-hero but I try lots of other things. More of a DC fan.
About how many comic book issues a week/month do you buy? 50-75 issues a month plus a bunch of trades and HCs of older classic stuff
Do you buy mainly issues, trades, digital? Current issues, deluxe HCs and omnis, some trades and digital when there are sales on comiXology. I also buy back issues at shows and occasionally online.
How many do you read every week/month? All the single issues I buy plus I am generally working my way through a couple other items, for example right now I am halfway through Master of Kung Fu Omni #4 and an Action Comics Archive. So maybe 250 issues a month?
Do you submit clips to the Previews Spotlight episodes? (If not, why not?) I am going to give it a shot!
Jasandyc
Visitor

Post by Jasandyc »

BronzeAgePaul wrote:Hi everybody. I have been listening to the podcasts for a year or two and thought I would look into the forums and maybe record a clip for the Previews episode. I guess I will start with the questions you asked!

How old are you? 53
Welcome to the forums Paul.

Jason C.
jrphoenix
Co-Host

Post by jrphoenix »

BronzeAgePaul wrote:Hi everybody. I have been listening to the podcasts for a year or two and thought I would look into the forums and maybe record a clip for the Previews episode. I guess I will start with the questions you asked!

How old are you? 53
Welcome to the forums Paul... hope you enjoy your stay and looking foward to your posts. I'm the co-host for the Weekly Comic Spotlight so, I hope you're enjoying that too :)
Xmanpatrick
Visitor

Post by Xmanpatrick »

What's up guys. I am new to all of this ha. Let's get started.
My name is Patrick from New Jersey.
My local comic shop is Conquest Comics.
I am 34 and a plumber.
I have read X-Men from the 90's reboot and watched the cartoon. I collected only Marvel as a kid. I stopped reading comic books for about 20 years. I just started to collect again this year. As of right now I buy mostly floppies. I don't like D/C but do read Batman. I still love my Marvel tho. Image is good and I pick randoms from the "back of the book".
I never counted before but I must pick up around 40 - 60 books a month. Shhh! Don't tell the wife.
I only read when I can so I have a good stack going right now ha! Maybe 10 a week.
I have been listening to the podcast for about 3 months. I wanted to do the preview spotlight but went on a cruise and didn't send in on time. Next month I'll be on! Love listening to them.
Keep up the good work guys.

Pull list: X-Men red, weapon h, domino, avengers, Mr and Mrs X, marvel 2 in 1 (dropping), fantastic four, venom (if not reading then missing out), Hulk (also missing out), Batman, dead rabbit, random 6 issue image and TMNT. a childhood fav.
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

How old are you? 53
Bronze Age Paul,
Welcome to the forum.
I loved your clips on the Previews Spotlight Episode #133.
If you get a chance, please join us on the Slack Channel.
If you get a chance, give a shoutout to your LCS.
Aloha,
Jason
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

Xmanpatrick wrote:What's up guys. I am new to all of this ha. Let's get started.
My name is Patrick from New Jersey.
My local comic shop is Conquest Comics.
I am 34 and a plumber.
I have read X-Men from the 90's reboot and watched the cartoon. I collected only Marvel as a kid. I stopped reading comic books for about 20 years. I just started to collect again this year. As of right now I buy mostly floppies. I don't like D/C but do read Batman. I still love my Marvel tho. Image is good and I pick randoms from the "back of the book".
I never counted before but I must pick up around 40 - 60 books a month. Shhh! Don't tell the wife.
I only read when I can so I have a good stack going right now ha! Maybe 10 a week.
I have been listening to the podcast for about 3 months. I wanted to do the preview spotlight but went on a cruise and didn't send in on time. Next month I'll be on! Love listening to them.
Keep up the good work guys.

Pull list: X-Men red, weapon h, domino, avengers, Mr and Mrs X, marvel 2 in 1 (dropping), fantastic four, venom (if not reading then missing out), Hulk (also missing out), Batman, dead rabbit, random 6 issue image and TMNT. a childhood fav.
X-Man Patrick,
Welcome to the forum.
That's a nice pull list.
I look forward to hearing your clips on the next Previews Spotlight Episode. Have fun recording the clips.
I'm hoping to participate a little more in 2019.
If you get a chance, post some pictures of Conquest Comics on the Slack Channel.
Jason
SuperFlashAtom1980
Visitor

Post by SuperFlashAtom1980 »

Hello, everyone. My name is Michael. I've been listening to the Mayo Report for about two years now and have since added Weekly Comics Spotlight and other podcasts that John put out. I'm 38 and work as a pharmacy technician.

I was introduced to the comics world with Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. My younger brother and I started collecting Spider-Man comics when our friend got us Heroes Reborn, I believe. It was right in the middle of the Clone Saga. After awhile, we stopped collecting. When Superman Returns came out, my sister and I watched it and I have been back into comics since. Nowadays, I read Superman, sometimes Flash, Shazam (loving it), Freedom Fighters (Oh, yeah!), and certain DC event titles. I also dabble in some Image, Ninja Turtles, The Wrong Earth, Astro City, and other indies here and there.

Besides comics, I enjoy video games, anime, Super Sentai, and some old cartoons. I'm also self-teaching myself kung fu and a self-proclaimed environmentalist.

I don't submit to Previews Spotlight because I don't want to be spoiled on future events.

I'm currently a DCUniverse subscriber and am enjoying the old comics as well and the old and new shows! Titans, Young Justice, and Doom Patrol, anyone? My hope here is to make friends, so we can all share our love of the medium. Thank you John, Sam, Drew, James and all who make this place possible and alive.
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

SuperFlashAtom1980 wrote:Hello, everyone. My name is Michael. I've been listening to the Mayo Report for about two years now and have since added Weekly Comics Spotlight and other podcasts that John put out. I'm 38 and work as a pharmacy technician.

I was introduced to the comics world with Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. My younger brother and I started collecting Spider-Man comics when our friend got us Heroes Reborn, I believe. It was right in the middle of the Clone Saga. After awhile, we stopped collecting. When Superman Returns came out, my sister and I watched it and I have been back into comics since. Nowadays, I read Superman, sometimes Flash, Shazam (loving it), Freedom Fighters (Oh, yeah!), and certain DC event titles. I also dabble in some Image, Ninja Turtles, The Wrong Earth, Astro City, and other indies here and there.

Besides comics, I enjoy video games, anime, Super Sentai, and some old cartoons. I'm also self-teaching myself kung fu and a self-proclaimed environmentalist.

I don't submit to Previews Spotlight because I don't want to be spoiled on future events.

I'm currently a DCUniverse subscriber and am enjoying the old comics as well and the old and new shows! Titans, Young Justice, and Doom Patrol, anyone? My hope here is to make friends, so we can all share our love of the medium. Thank you John, Sam, Drew, James and all who make this place possible and alive.
Michael,
Welcome to the forum!

I look forward to reading your post on the forum.
If you get a chance, join the Slack Channel. To me, it's a lot of fun with real time conversations and postings.

Also, if you get a chance, give a shoutout to your LCS.

Aloha,
Jason
jrphoenix
Co-Host

Post by jrphoenix »

SuperFlashAtom1980 wrote:Hello, everyone. My name is Michael. I've been listening to the Mayo Report for about two years now and have since added Weekly Comics Spotlight and other podcasts that John put out. I'm 38 and work as a pharmacy technician.

Hi Michael.. welcome to the forums. I'm glad you are liking the podcast :) Make sure to join the slack channel as well if you have some spare time, it's a lot of fun.

James.. weekly comics spotlight co-host.
SuperFlashAtom1980
Visitor

Post by SuperFlashAtom1980 »

Thanks, Jason and James! The Slack Channel sounds fun. How do I join?

As for my local comic shop, it's called Adventures in Comics & Games on 6026 Fair Oaks Blvd, Carmichael, CA 95608. I've only been there once to buy a D&D Starter Kit. I usually get my comics digitally. It's a nice place though with back issues, new comics, and tables for people to play games.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

for some reason the thread is called persistant chat instead of slack http://www.comicbookpage.com/forum/view ... f=1&t=2219
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
prl81
Passerby

Post by prl81 »

What is your real name? Andy
How old are you? 38
What do you do for a living? Factory Worker
What kinds of comic books do you like? I have only been collecting for a month but I'm really liking the Amazing Spider-Man and Teenage mutant ninja turtles.
About how many comic book issues a week/month do you buy? Just starting just buying mostly back issues
Do you buy mainly issues, trades, digital? Issues
How many do you read every week/month? Probably 10 a week
How long have you been reading comics? About a month but loving it
How long have you been listening to the Comic Book Page podcast? 3 weeks
Do you submit clips to the Previews Spotlight episodes? (If not, why not?)no. Still getting the hang of this.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Welcome to the forums, Andy! Enjoy the journey